Summer plants and flowers look appealing and beautiful, however, there are some plants which can be potentially deadly for your pet cat if they come in contact with them. If you are planning to put plants in the garden or have them inside your house, you should ensure that they are not toxic to your pets.
Most pet owners are completely unaware of the plants and flowers that are toxic to their pets. Gaining knowledge about the different species of plants that are toxic to your pet will help avoid unnecessary complications.
Toxic Plants for Cats
All parts of the lily plant are toxic for cats. Lilies, in particular, are extremely toxic for cats. Even though your pet cat might not be interested in eating this plant, it is always a risk if they come in contact with it.
There are several types of lilies that are considered toxic to cats. These include the tiger lily, Easter lily and other species of the lily family. If ingested even small parts of the lily plant can be extremely toxic. It can result in severe poisoning.
- Spring Crocus
All parts of this plant are toxic. If ingested or eaten, it causes diarrhoea, vomiting, kidney damage, and even death in some cases.
Tulips are members of the lily family and are toxic to cats. Tulipalin A and Tulipalin B are toxins found in tulip bulbs. See immediate vet assistance if you suspect your pet to have eaten any part of the plant.
- Sago Palm
This ornamental house plant is toxic to cats. The entire plant is dangerous but the nuts are most toxic.
- Castor Beans
Ricin is poisonous and is found in the bean of the castor oil plant. All parts of the plant are toxic to pets. Even tiny amounts will poison your cat. If your cat eats even a small part of the plant it can cause tremors, twitching, coma, seizures, and death.
The whole plant is poisonous to cats. The bulb of the plant is the most dangerous part of the plant. The outer layer of the bulb contains small crystals of toxins. It can trigger diarrhoea, vomiting, breathing problems, and abdominal pain.
The plant is popular in the UK for its bright colours. The leaves, flowers, and bulbs are harmful even in small quantities. Vomiting and irritation are common in pets that have ingested the plant.
The ornamental shrub is harmful to your pets. The entire plant is poisonous. If your pet had eaten the plant, the reactions can be sudden and severe.
Even though the entire plant is poisonous to cats, the roots are most dangerous. Some cats have the habit of digging, If they dig and eat even a small part of the root, it can be fatal for your pet cat.
Cats are often careful about what they eat. If your pet cat is young and inquisitive, it can choose to nibble on toxic plants. If you suspect your pet to have eaten a poisonous plant or flower, you should take it to the vet immediately.