Share post
  • Halloween dangers for pet’s

    Categories: Pet Care

Halloween dangers for pet’s

It’s fun to celebrate Halloween and include your pets but there are many dangers which include:

Halloween dangers for pet's

  • First on our Halloween dangers for pet’s is Xylitol: Many sweets contain Xylitol (a sugar substitute) which is toxic to Dogs. Not to mention the high sugar and fat content which could lead to pancreatitis. Signs of problems can include decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain. Problems can lead to kidney failure or other organ damage.
  • The higher the cacao solids the more toxic it is so dark chocolate is much more toxic than milk chocolate. If any chocolate is eaten by your dog keep the packaging to take to the vet so they know exactly what amount of poison has been ingested. Watch out for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, increased thirst, elevated heart rate and seizures.

Halloween dangers for pet's

  • Personally I don’t think it’s fair to dress up any pet as they aren’t used to wearing clothes! However, I know it can be fun for you as an owner but as long as it’s not distressing for your pet! If you know that your pet is not stressed by being dressed up then just make sure there are no loose parts which could tangle in their legs or be chewed and eaten. (Beads and decorative trim may contain zinc or lead which is poisonous to pets!) Never leave your pet unattended while dressed in a costume.
  • Keep pets away from any naked flames. Make sure lit pumpkins are not left unsupervised around your pets. They may get knocked over causing injury to your pet or even a house fire!
  • Raisins and grapes. These cause kidney failure in dogs and cats. Watch out for vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, decreased appetite and abdominal pain. If you know that your pet has eaten even just one grape get them to the vet ASAP as even a tiny amount can cause huge kidney damage!

Halloween dangers for pet's

  • Glow sticks. Over 70% of calls to the veterinary poisons unit last year were in relation to glow sticks! If eaten the gel inside causes pain and irritation in the mouth. The plastic coating can also be a choking hazard or cause blockages in the digestive tract.
  • Scary noises and sights. The unusual sights and sounds surrounding Halloween fun can be incredibly frightening for your pets. Make sure they have a safe place in the house to go and seek refuge. Avoid walkies in the evenings and keep cat flaps locked after dusk when fireworks are likely to be set off. Ensure your pets I.D tag is up to date in case they spook and run away.

Enjoy your Halloween and stay safe!

Join the conversation

What's on your mind?